6 tips on what’s on in Sydney today
While we all have to stay put for the time being, why not explore what’s right at your doorstep? We sat down with our Concierge team and asked what’s on in Sydney today to cure our social isolation and stay COVID-safe.
Here are their top 6 tips including popular attractions, secret underground cocktail bars, and everything in between.
So, Let’s see what you can see and do in Sydney today.
Tip #1: Angel Place
Blink twice and you’ll miss it! Tucked away between George street and Pitt street, in the Angel Place laneway, you’ll find the art installation, Forgotten Songs, by Michael Thomas Hill. It’s easy to bypass but if you turn slightly off the beaten path, you won’t be disappointed. This Angel Place art installation is filled with the chirps of dozens of birds once found in the Sydney area before the European settlement. A beautiful tribute represented by 120 birdcages that hang in the air accompanied by speakers that play recordings of their birdsongs day and night.
- Proximity: Only a 3 min walk from
- the Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney
- Opening Hours: 24 hours 7/7
- Address: Angel Place, Sydney, 2000
Tip #2: Door Knock
The challenge of drinking at Door Knock is finding it first. What looks like a concrete staircase leading to nowhere is actually the entrance to Door Knock. Follow the long hall all the way to the end and enter one of Sydney’s most secret cocktail bars. Feel utterly detached from the world above and enjoy one of their famous cocktails for an after-work time out.
- Proximity: Only a 1 min walk from the Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney
- Website: https://www.doorknock.com.au/
- Address: B2/70 Pitt St, Sydney, 2000
Tip #3: Whale watching
Each year thousands of humpback whales migrate along the east coast of Australia, making their journey towards warmer waters in Queensland. While whale watching is an adventure on its own, for those who like a little luxury, there are many cruise vessels who provide a glimpse of the whales complete with a gourmet luncheon served on-board. Comfortable indoor seating allows you to sip on a cocktail while watching these gentle giants of the sea.
- Proximity: Most whale watching cruises depart from Circular Quay which is only a 9 min walk from the Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney
- Best time to see whales: Between May through July and September through November.
Tip #4: The Art Gallery of NSW
The Art Gallery of New South Wales, located in The Domain, is the most important public gallery in Sydney and one of the largest in Australia. Home to a distinguished collection of colonial and 19th-century Australian works and European old masters, The Art Gallery of New South Wales is the perfect spot to get your dose of culture and inspiration.
- Proximity: Only a 10 min walk from the Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel
- Website: https://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/
- Address: Art Gallery Rd, The Domain 2000, Sydney, Australia
Tip #5: Madame Tussauds
Millions of people have flocked through the doors of Madame Tussauds worldwide since they first opened over 200 years ago and it remains just as popular as it ever was. There are many reasons for their enduring success, but at the heart of it all is good, old-fashioned curiosity. So why not get up-close and personal with your favourite celebrities?
- Proximity: Only a 14 min walk from the Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel
- Website: click here
- Address: Aquarium Wharf, 1-5 Wheat Road, Darling Harbour, NSW, 2000
Tip #6: Taronga Zoo
Located on the shores of Sydney Harbour in the suburb of Mosman lies the world-famous Taronga Zoo with over 5,000 animals from 350 different species. Due to Covid-19 your visit will look a little different such as closures to keeper talks and animal encounters however there is still plenty to do and see!
- Proximity: Only a 10 minute ferry ride away from Circular Quay
- Website: click here
Our Concierge team has many tenured members, who have incredible knowledge of Sydney and the perfect suggestions to add on your next stay with us. Luggage help? No problem. Need to book tickets or a restaurant reservation? Done. Don’t hesitate to ask them for any assistance you may need, the team is always happy to help!